A little while back, I wrote an article called 3 Good Shoes For CrossFit. In that article, I explored three shoes: The Nike MetCon, The Reebok Nano, & The Inov 8 F Lite 235. If you want to see how they compare based on actual customer reviews, click here. This article will focus on the two best Inov 8 shoes for CrossFit.
If you’re going to buy one pair of Inov 8s to WOD in, it has to be the F Lite 235. The heel is reinforced to provide support for those heavy squats. The toe box is is protected by a bumper that’s great for burpees. Finally, Inov 8 wrapped the shoe with Rope-Tec so the rope doesn’t eat away at the sides of your shoes.
One thing you should be aware of when buying the Inov 8 F Lite 235 is that it has a Zero millimeter heel-toe drop. Most people are not used to this minimalist feel. You have to take precaution when running or performing movements like double unders and box jumps. Stretch your calves and achilles accordingly.
Here are some positive things people have to say about The Best Inov 8 Shoe for CrossFit – F Lite 235:
- Fits True To Size
- Super Light at 235g (Nano ~270 gram and MetCon ~330grams)
- Flexible & Breathable
- Good for high volume rope climbing
- Good Branding – Don’t feel like a walking billboard for CrossFit
Here are some negative things people have to say about The Best Inov 8 shoe for CrossFit – F Lite 235:
- Low ankle support (higher risk of rolling ankle)
- Very little support – minimalist design.
- Might not be good for “larger” athletes that aren’t “light on their feet”.
- Perceived difficulty in running longer than 400 meters
- Canvas area by toebox gets dirty fast
So, have you been trying to decide which is the best Inov 8 CrossFit shoe for you? If so, you’ll be glad to know Inov 8 released a second version of the F Lite 235. This should make your decision much easier, as this is the same great shoe, with a few upgrades to enhance your workout experience!
Round 2: The Best Inov 8 shoes for CrossFit – Weight Lifting.
CrossFit isn’t just about running, jumping, and burpee-ing. Sometimes we pick things up and put them down. Heavy things. When dedicating an entire portion of the workout to just lifting, a lot of CrossFitters like to change into shoes designed specifically for weight lifting.
Enter the Inov 8 Fast Lift 335. The main reason I think the Inov 8 Fast Lift 335 is another good Inov 8 shoe for CrossFit is because of their hybrid functionality. What does that mean? Well, you can do more than just lift weights in this shoe. Like, walk to and from the bathroom, or drive home in them.
Disclaimer: Please do not buy these shoes thinking you can use them for a WOD that includes running and jumping. You’ll destroy your feet.
If I had to pick a type of WOD you can do with Inov 8 Fast Lift 335s, I’d nominate FRAN (21-15-9 Thrusters & PullUps) or Grace (30 Clean and Jerks for Time). They’re perfect for Thruster support and make no difference from a regular shoe while doing pull ups.
Other weight lifting shoes, like the Adidas AdiPower or the Nike Romaleos, are much stiffer than the Inov 8s Fast Lift 335s. If you’re not an Inov 8 loyalist and you don’t mind putting on and taking off your shoes less than 5 feet from where you’re going to lift, the AdiPower or Romaleo may cater to your weightlifting needs better.
Here’s some positive things people have to say about The “Bonus” Best Inov 8 shoe for CrossFit:
- Good Quality & Durable – Shoe looks good as new even a year later
- Toe Box is more flexible than other weightlifting shoes – can walk around comfortably
- Good for a medium – wide foot
- Great ankle support
- 335 grams – Lighter than Romaleo and AdiPower (both over 400grams)
- Many reviews saying athletes increased squat and deadlift numbers by just switching to this shoe from regular CrossFit shoes: MetCons, Nanos, F Lite 235s.
- Many reviews state getting “ass to grass” is much easier in these shoes than regular CrossFit shoes or lifting barefoot.
- Great for those with ankle mobility issues.
Here’s some negative things people have to say about The “Bonus” Best Inov 8 CrossFit Shoe:
- Colorways are loud and bright – could be a good thing or bad thing
- Posted a picture of the pair I own below.
- Sizing is off – Runs small
If you’re an Inov 8 enthusiast and you want to stay loyal while practicing CrossFit, you’re in a good position. The Best Inov 8 shoes for CrossFit are the F Lite 235s. The other best Inov 8 shoes for CrossFit are the Fast Lift 335s.