My name is Sunny Shakhawala. I’m a 27-year-old dude with border-line obsessive compulsive disorder when it comes to health and fitness. My last name is way easier to pronounce than you think it is. Phonetically, it’s SHAH-KAH-WAH-LAH.
Quick story: In my native state of India, last names ending in “wala” means a person who sells that good or service. “Shakh” means vegetables. So there you have it. If for no other reason, please believe I’m interested in your health and well-being because of my last name, translated to “vegetable-seller”, says so.
Proper nutrition & CrossFit have changed my life dramatically. Since graduating from college, my health & fitness journey has had its’ fair share of ups and downs. Ups: Lost more than 35lbs & 10% Body Fat. Downs: Suffered from a taboo condition called Rhabdomyolysis, which led me to spend 6 days in the hospital. I want to share my journey with you.
WHO I’M NOT:
- I’m not a freak athlete. Unless you consider being able to bench more than I can squat freaky…
- I’m not 6′, 185 lbs and 5% body fat.
- I’m not a “Games” Competitor.
- I’m not even a CrossFit Level 1 Certified Coach.
WHO I AM:
- I’m a skinny brown kid that’s ridiculously curious. Seriously, I’ll do anything once.
- I’m insanely competitive. But only with myself.
- I love sharing what I learn. Especially if it can help just one person live an easier life.
- I’m an INTJ. I do my best work in solitude.
- I’m a minimalist. When I buy something (like a T-Shirt), I donate or throw away 2 similar items.
- I don’t drink alcohol, I meditate, I write in a journal, I watch an obscene amount of TV/movies, and I read almost every day.
- I have a big family. They mean a lot to me.
- I have a few friends. I hope to have fewer a couple years from now.
- I live in North East New Jersey.
- My wife, Dia, is from Mexico and somehow I convinced her to move to New Jersey after we met in Spain. She hates winter, and I share that sentiment.
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO NEXT?
First, check out my Top 3 Blog Posts:
- 4 Lessons Learned From Waking Up At 445 AM To Do CrossFit
- The CrossFit Open: 7 Movements You Must Master!
- Rhabdo is Real: A CrossFit Athlete’s Bout With Rhabdomyolysis
Then, click Here if you want to Go From Zero To 60 Double Unders in 30 Days or Less.